Friday, October 27, 2017

Making the transition from Apple to Android

I was an Apple iPhone user for only about 4 years or so, but I honestly cannot remember the time when I was using an Android phone. It certainly felt like I've been using iPhones forever.

My first smartphone was a Samsung Galaxy W. I recall it fondly, because what I really wanted the S2 but it was way too expensive and so out of my budget so I settled for a cheaper one.

It lasted a couple of years, and when it finally broke I went back to using a basic keypad phone that basically had no other functions than call and text. I didn't mind, for at this point I already had an iPad and that's what I used for light internet usage.

When Yolanda happened and I was left with no phone and no tablet, I then bought a cheap Cherry Mobile android phone. It served me well for a few months, and while it was a good phone, I never really liked it much. The battery was crap, it overheats fast, the camera stinks, and while it was quad-core, the phone slowed down after I installed basic apps.

So then I switched to Apple.

Getting an iPhone wasn't an intentional decision, though. Having owned an iPod and an iPad for years, I was used to an Apple OS but I find them to be very expensive (and I still do). But a family friend was selling his months-old iPhone 5 and I bought it at a bargain price. I upgraded to a 6 then a 6S later on.

And that was when my love for Apple started.

I find iPhones to be more user friendly than Android phones. I know there are plenty of iPhone users who buy it for the status, but I chose it for it's functionality. The Boyfriend is a Samsung guy all the way, and we've had plenty of debate regarding the two.

I really thought I'm going to be an iPhone user for life.

Then iPhone 7 came out. And *gasp* there was no headphone jack!

For me, Spotify is life. I pay for a premium account because I want to be able to hear music whenever, wherever. I get bored easily and music helps me pass time. I have my headphones on when running errands. I listen to music while doing chores.

Sure, Apple introduced the Airpods, but for someone as forgeful as I am, it'll only be a matter of time before I lose one or both of them. And I'm certainly not going to shell out a bunch of money for me to lose them again.

Then Samsung announced the S8.

And oh my Godric Gryffindor, it was love at first sight. I'm no techie but even I know how to understand basic phone specs. And the camera, oh my. *fans myself* As someone who takes a great deal pf pictures, damn the camers is heaven. I can count my pores when I take a really close up selfie.

Then an upgrade for iOs 11 came out.

My iPhone friends upgraded, and their feedbacks were all positive so I did, too. But for the life of me I never really like iOs 11. I can't point a finger as to why, just that I didn't like it.

When I finally decided to ditch my iPhone, I was faced with another indecision when Samsung announced the Note 8. Took me a while to decide but I finally settled on the S8.

There was a brief adjustment period, but ultimately no regrets!

I love how I can download Torrents directly to my phone, how easy it is to customize my phone's look according to my preferences, how I can use my own ringtones, and how easy it is for me to transfer movies to my phone without having to go through the process of formatting the videos so it can play on my phone.

And the best part: expandable memory.

There are a couple of things I hated about Samsung, though. First, the emojis. And I cannot stress that strongly enough. Samsung's emojis are fucking ugly and I hate that I can't change them without root. Second, I miss the recently deleted folder on the iPhone.

I've been using the S8 for 10 days now and so far I'm really loving it! 

No comments:

looking for something?