Wednesday, March 23, 2016

#LesMisManila

I love musicals. 

Ever since I was a kid, I've always enjoyed movies with lots and lots of singing. I don't know why, maybe it was the influence of Disney classics like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan (my 2 favorite Disney movies of all time). I remember watching the Sound of Music with my Mom and Dad over and over again until I had all the songs memorized.

Of course, I couldn't keep on watching Disney movies and The Sound of Music forever. Eventually, I discovered Grease, The Wizard of Oz, West Side Story, The King and I, and My Fair Lady. They were before my time, but it didn't stop me from enjoying them. I even liked The Rocky Horror Picture Show, weird as that movie was.

But the first time I saw one on stage was when my cousin took me to see Cats. I didn't know what it was or what it was about. But the tune made me want to sing along, the songs made me wanna dance, and when we got home after the show, I downloaded the soundtrack, played it on loop, then started singing about Mr. Mistoffelees out loud during random times. 

I watched more shows after that: The Phantom of the Opera (which is one of my top three faves, maybe I'll blog about this one day, heh), Wicked, and Beauty and the Beast.

And when it was announced that Les Miserables (part of my top three faves, too) is coming to the Philippines, you can just imagine my excitement. I bought my tickets two hours after Ticketworld started selling them (I would have bought it earlier but I had a doctor's appointment). 

I just watched it last Saturday, and IT. WAS. AMAZING. Even The Boyfriend (who always accompanies me but gets bored and falls asleep in the middle of the show) loved it. He watched the whole thing without getting bored or falling asleep, and that is saying something!

There's probably a lot of reviews online, so this won't be one of those. I'm just writing to rave about how awesome it was, and how lucky I felt to be able to watched Les Mis.

Rachelle Ann Go was great — proud to be Filipino moment right there. Also, Chloe (she played the young Cosette) was so adorable. And she's half-Filipino! My favorite character, Eponine, also did not disappoint. The whole thing was worth every peso I spent for the tickets, and more!

Les Miserables. 
The amazing cast. 
Collection of tickets. 



No comments:

looking for something?