Thursday, January 20, 2011

my ER experience

Tomorrow's my last day of rotation at the emergency room (well, technically not, but I'm only there for half of saturday, so..). I wish I could stay in the ER forever. It was fun there, although tiring, plus the staff, even the doctors (mostly the surgeons) are great. And just when I'm finally well-adjusted to the things at ER, my rotation is over and I'm being shuffled out to the Out-Patient Department. Boo.

Of course, it's not all rainbows and butterflies. We have to deal with annoying significant others of patients, impatient one who can't seem to understand that when the doctor is at the operating room, the doctor can't just pack up and leave whenever we call them because we have a patient waiting at the ER. And don't get me started on the ones who think their cases are emergencies. God. You think they're bleeding to death they way they argue with us when we tell them to go to the OPD.

And while we do try our best to save all our patients, dying is sometimes inevitable. We lost 2 patients (on different days) while I was on duty. It's a sad thing, knowing full well that we all did what we could, and yet unable to help. Watching the family cry, not knowing how to offer comfort. I hope they are contented, and not in pain, wherever they are. God bless their souls.

I never thought i'd enjoy it this much. When I applied for my volunteer training, I was thinking that if I don't like being a nurse, I'd just get on with my Med plans (yes, I still think about it every now and then) and become a doctor. But here I am, 8 days on the job, and I'm loving it! It's really gratifying to hear our patients thank us, even though it's the doctors who treated them and all, because we are the ones they constantly see attending to them, even if we do scold them if they kept pestering us.

And well, I'm glad I became a nurse. ♥

No comments:

looking for something?